Pages

Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fabio Capello targets victory at Euro 2012

Fabio Capello believes England can challenge at Euro 2012.
Fabio Capello faces the press on Monday
MichaelRegan/GettyImages
Fabio Capello faces the press on Monday

Capello remains under intense pressure after England's dismal performance at the World Cup finals and had to face a grilling from the press on Monday about how he intends to turn things around.
Despite the question marks over the quality of the players at his disposal, Capello was insistent that he can mount a bid for glory in Poland and Ukraine in two years' time.
"I am here to win the Euros," declared Capello. "I think we are a good team. We are a good team. I have confidence in this team. I don't like to work for anyone without expectations.
"I want to win something. It is always in my mind. If I am here, it is because I have got the confidence of the FA and because I think I can do it.
"Managing England is not easy. Probably it is a little bit harder than in other countries. The money is not very important. The confidence of the FA was important for me. If they had said 'thanks very much' then fine. I don't want to stay just because I signed a contract.
"I want to try again and go forward. I want to try to win something.
"I did a good job in qualification [for the World Cup]. My record is a good one. I don't know the future but the fans should trust me.''
Capello also revealed he turned down offers from three clubs to stay with England: "They were from important clubs but I don't want to speak about them because I respect the managers who are working there now.''
Capello, however, opened himself up for more criticism by saying he was not sure how to change the mindset of a squad which players with fear in South Africa.
He said: "I don't know what we have to do to improve the minds of the players. At this moment I really don't know but we will have to change something.''

No comments:

Post a Comment